About Me

My photo
We are a community group for mothers, currently in the Orillia to Gravenhurst, Ontario area, we focus on food, nutrition and health for our family. We draw on expert knowledge such as naturopaths, but best of all we learn and share knowledge from fellow mothers. Even if you have never cooked before we can help you get started. We want to encourage moms to cook and learn the importance of what they put on the table. We are REALISTIC and STRIVE to make a healthy lifestyle accessible to everyone, through education. Membership is FREE so sign up to follow us today! We work together to share knowledge of everything from recipes, nutrition, to how to plan ahead. We offer something for every lifestyle, from just the basics of cooking, spaghetti and pizza, to people looking to learn something new about nutrition, organics or even raw cooking. Never cooked before, let us help you get started, we offer some basic cooking lessons from a mom, to help get you started and then this group will help keep you going for a lifetime of providing healthy and nutritious meals for your family. We offer: Workshops, share recipes, and fun get togethers.
FREE Shipping on all orders of $99 or more. Valid 10.15.12 - 10.31.12

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The mom clicks!

I can't believe my maternity leave is over soon and I haven't really made any new mom friends (just the ones I already knew), what is wrong with me? I feel like there are these clicks in playgroups or other mom and baby groups, and that I feel like sometimes I am not part of these clicks? Am I intimidating to approach?
I also didn't join as many mom and baby groups as I would of liked but I also only had the car when it wasn't my husband's turn to drive to work (carpool). Was I a bad mom for not reaching out more, should I have done it so that I had a bigger support group? I feel like a lot of mothers are way better than me, when it comes to talking about their child in these groups, and then it leads to a friendship between the mothers, so why don't I have that instinct.
In my twenties I use to go out and have a million friends and make new ones all the time, but now that my "going out" is non existent, so is my socializing, weird hey?
I don't mind even making contacts for work when the opportunities come up, but for some reason, moms are so intimidating to me. I especially don't like the moms who talk like they have perfected motherhood, like they have something to prove and want to say they know everything, my blood boils.
I need to think, that just because I am going back to work, doesn't mean I can't still be in the mom loop and I can continue to find opportunities to socialize with other mothers. I also think I really have to put myself out there (oh god it sounds like I am dating all over again) because I think it will make my networking skills better for work and for life. So mother's take on the challenge of  practicing networking with just other mother's, because I think you will find it rewarding. I am even going to look for resources for learning networking skills and even online social media for networking for life and for your business and report back everything I find.

2 comments:

  1. Reading this I felt both guilty that I never put Max into any baby groups (although he's the most sociable kid I know so I guess it didn't hurt him any) and glad that I'm not the only mother that doesn't like other mothers ! I'm very sociable, don't have have problems with most any other setting, but other mothers with children mines age that I could so easily compare myself to (and usually unfavourably)... no thank you ! I have enough ways of finding things to feel guilty about thank you very much.

    aahhh... that feels better.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Laura, we "non group mother socialize-rs" need to stick together in a unified front about the right to not be a group socializing mom and not feel guilty for it. :)

    ReplyDelete